By Tamara Wilm
Canon announced their new Canon EOS R Mirrorless system last week, and the industry—not to mention the fans, haters, critics, and pro shooters—are all weighing in with their opinions. I’ll save you the trouble right now of wondering if this is a good system or not: it is. As Scott Kelby wrote on his blog that Canon is pushing the innovation of mirrorless systems forward with the EOS R, “and a raising tide raises all ships. Canon just helped raise the tide a bit more.” That right there is a pretty compelling reason to appreciate this system, even if you are a devoted Nikon, Sony, or some other brand fan.
So what’s it got under the hood, and what makes it special—let’s take a quick look. The camera shoots full-frame at 31.7Mp (actual) / 30.3Mp (effective) and houses a 36 x 24mm CMOS sensor. It can capture in both JPEG and RAW (simultaneously), and has one SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot. That’s a downer for some people, but hey, SD cards are less expensive, so….
The camera also features Canon Cinema, with the capability to shoot UHD 4K video up to 30fps. The EOS R allows up to a half hour of shooting, and Full HD up to 60p. Other essential information includes the 0.5” 3.69-dot OLED EVF and the rear 3.15” 2.1m-dot vari-angle touchscreen LCD. There’s also a multi-function bar for customized shooting.
If you’re looking for a Vanguard tripod to go with the EOS R Mirrorless, I’d recommend the VEO 2 Tripod line. They’re lightweight and super-portable, and won’t overwhelm the smaller camera body. Yet they’re strong enough to hold the system, even if you’ve got that monster 28-70mm lens attached. The multi-action ball head allows for fluid movements, especially when filming.
Here are the specs for those of you who prefer data that’s easy to throw out around the water cooler.
- SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot
- Canon RF Lens compatible mount
- Mount Adapter EF-EOS R allows EF and EF-S lens compatibility
- 7MP CMOS sensor, 36 x 24mm
- 5” OLED Color electronic viewfinder (100% coverage / 0.71x magnification)
- Phase-difference detection system with image sensor
- 5,655 AF points
- EV -6 to 18 AF working range
- Auto ISO 100-40000
- Full-Frame Camera Format
- 6720 x 4480 Max Resolution
- 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9 Aspect Ratio
- JPEG, RAW Still Formats
- MP4, MPEG-4, AVC/H.264 Movie Formats
- AAC, Linear PCM (Stereo) Audio Formats
- 14-Bit Depth
- Dust Reduction System
- 5-Way Digital Image Stabilization
- NTSC/PAL Video Recording
- 3840 x 2160p / 1920 x 1080p / 1280 x 720p
- 16:9 Video Aspect Ratio
- Up to 29 min 59 sec Video Clip
- Built-In Mic: with Video (Stereo)
- Optional External Mic: With Video (Stereo)
- 1/8” Mic, HDMI C (Mini) USB Type-C Connectivity
- Auto / Manual Focus
- 15” Rear Touchscreen Swivel LCD (100% Screen Coverage)
- eTTL Dedicated Flash System
- Hot Shoe
- Wi-Fi Capable
- LP-E6N Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery
- 45 lb / 660g
- 3 x 3.9 x 3.3” / 135.8 x 98.3 x 84.4mm